24 February 2007

"8 1/2 Mile"


Sample-based aesthetics point to a larger grammar of clashing various media with topical or visual similarities to create mutant remixed offspring. While my personal approach with video is to use the formal processes common to sample-based work on materials I create myself, I still find a good mash-up to be rare finds in the cluttered landscape of audiovisual collage. This clip by The AV Club is particularly multi-dimensional in its result. The best mash-up work is something that will never be made better through automation; it is hi-tech handiwork.

My personal mash-up triumph was a track I made from ODB's Baby I got Your Money and Pink Floyd's Money, decorated by choice samples of Noam Chomsky talking about economics. I called it Dirty Money.

No comments: