10 February 2007

"Nostalgia"

I just watched Tarkovsky's Nostalgia. The only other film of his I have seen is Stalker. I find his storytelling incredibly compelling for its theatric and meditative qualities (obvious draws).

Another perhaps more subtle thing which seduces me is his proclivity for carefully composed wide shots. He tends to avoid medium shots, relying on either canvas-like settings or closeups in the tradition of portraiture. I was also acutely aware of the sound design being heightened and immersive. I am interested in these qualities because of their musical nature. The visual separation of characters and objects within a Tarkovsky frame are often as elegant a composition as a painting. But these are paintings in time which, reinforced by a strong sound design, speak to me as audiovisual music.

No comments: